No Wonder QuickBooks is the most popular accounting application across the globe. It is preferred by SMEs to streamline their financial tasks. However, despite being a widely accepted application, it is prone to various errors and technical glitches. One such error that irritates users is QuickBooks Error 6073. Usually, the users face this error when trying to open the QuickBooks company file in the multi-user mode. If you are too troubled by this error, then there is no need to worry. We are here to help you. In this blog, we will delve deep into the error, exploring its causes, symptoms, and effective troubleshooting methods. So, read the blog till the end to know more about this error.
Quick Overview of QuickBooks Error 6073
The users face this issue when they try to open the company file in multi-user mode. Company files are crucial as they store all your financial information about your business. Failing to access the company file will create a problem. Usually, this error comes up with the error message stating, “QuickBooks is unable to open the company file. The file is open on another computer in a single-user mode.” In simple terms, the error states that some other user has already opened the same file in the single-user mode.
Though it is a very common error, sometimes it becomes very difficult to handle it. Resolving the error can be quite easy if you know the exact reason for the error.
What Causes QuickBooks 6073 Error to Occur?
There are plenty of reasons that are responsible for triggering this error. Let us have a quick look at the prominent reasons. Below, we have listed the most common reasons that are behind this error.
- The company file is damaged or corrupted due to a virus or malware attack.
- QuickBooks database is not responding to your commands.
- Insufficient permissions to the users will results in this error.
- The network data file (.nd) file got corrupted or damaged due to some reasons.
- QuickBooks is trying to run the scheduled backup when the company file is in use.
- The company file is located in the read-only network folder.
- QuickBooks company file is accessed remotely, and the host computer detects that you are already logged in.
Common Symptoms to Identify QuickBooks Error Code 6073
Detecting the errors in QuickBooks is easy as each error shows some early signs/symptoms before occurring. Below, we have mentioned some of the early signs that will help you in identifying the problem.
- An error message window with the QuickBooks error code 6073 appears on your screen.
- The computer shuts down all of a sudden.
- QuickBooks application stops responding to your commands.
- The multi-user mode does not work properly on the server or the client computer.
- The active window crashes due to the error.
You may also read- Upgrade QuickBooks to Latest QuickBooks 2024
Easy Troubleshooting Methods to QuickBooks Error 6073
Resolving the errors in the application can be a time-consuming task. There are a handful of solutions to each error. In case you are not sure about the cause of the error, you need to implement every solution one by one to fix the error. However, if you know the exact cause, you can directly implement the concerned resolution. There is no need to perform the try-and-run methodology.
Effective solutions to remove the QuickBooks 6073 error are:
Manual Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6073
Cause: If your file is located in the read-only network folder
Solution: Having the company file in the read-only network folder will result in QuickBooks error 6073 in QuickBooks. The read-only properties do not allow the application to run the company file. Henceforth, you need to implement the below-mentioned steps to remove the error.
- Foremost, go to the computer that is hosting your company file.
- Afterward, find the folder having the company files and right-click on it.
- Further, select the properties from the available options.
- It will open a new window. Now, go to the security menu and choose the users having the issue.
- Now, click on edit and tick the mark to allow the checkbox full control.
- Lastly, click on OK to make the changes.
Cause: If the company file is opened in single-user mode on the Host Computer
Solution: Having the company file on the host computer in the single-user mode will prompt the QuickBooks Error code 6073. You can fix the issue easily by switching to the multi-user mode. The steps that will help you in fixing the error are:
- Open the QuickBooks and click on the file menu tab.
- After that, pick the close company file option from the drop-down menu.
- Now, re-open the company file. Again, click on the file menu and choose open or restore a company file option.
- Moving ahead, press the “open a company file” option and then press the next button.
- Browse and pick your company file.
- Now, click on open a company file in multi-user mode, and lastly, click on the open option.
Cause: If the company file is accessed remotely
Solution: Accessing the company file from the remote location will result in the issue. You can easily fix the issue by running the Quick Fix My Program from the QuickBooks tool hub. Take help from the below-mentioned steps to resolve the issue.
- Open the QuickBooks tool hub by double-clicking on its desktop icon.
- After that, click on the programs tab available on the left panel of the tool.
- Here, click on the Quick Fix My Program tab. It will fix the issue. Let the process get over.
- Open the QuickBooks company file after the process is over.
Cause: If the company file is opened in single-user mode on Another Computer
Solution: If someone is already using the company file on another system in a single-user mode and you are trying to access it, then you will definitely face the error. By following the below-mentioned steps, you can easily remove the error.
- Foremost, close the QuickBooks on all workstations.
- After that, open the QuickBooks on the host computer and log into it.
- Now, click on the file menu tab and switch to multi-user mode from the available options.
- Open the company file to check if the issue persists or not.
Another Solution to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6073
In case the above-mentioned manual methods do not work for you, you can try the other solutions.
Solution 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks tool hub is a collection of various utilities that repair various QuickBooks issues or technical glitches. By simply running the QuickBooks file doctor, which is a part of the QuickBooks tool hub, you can fix the error. The below-mentioned steps will guide you to remove the error 6073.
- Foremost, download and install the QuickBooks tool hub on your system.
- Double-click on its desktop icon to open the tool after its installation.
- Now, select the company file issue tab available on the left panel.
- Here, click on the Run QuickBooks file doctor tab to fix the issue.
- It will automatically fix the issues. In case the tool fails to launch, you need to manually launch it.
QuickBooks is a multi-task software that simplifies your business financial operations. However, just like any other application, it is open to various errors or technical glitches. Hopefully, this blog helps you in removing the QuickBooks error 6073. Our experts clearly explain all the methods in simple language. In case you still need the advice of an expert, you can call us.